Serving in the military is an honor and only the bravest of us have the guts for putting their lives before others. Soldiers often get ALL the credit for being noble and brave, but there is also a special someone who deserves equal applause for their support. Yes, I’m talking about the military spouse. They are undoubtedly the pillars of hope and morale back home who often spend months alone all the while fearing the safety of their soldier. Their life long support comes to fruition at the retirement of their beloved soldier.
For whom is this guide for
Retirement from the military should be an Epic celebration for that special spouse who has stood behind the soldier and braved the thick and thins of life. If you are reading this article, you may be a soldier looking to honor your spouse, a friend or family member. Know this, giving gifts is one of the best ways to show your appreciation. Here you will come to learn about the best military retirement gifts for spouses.
Once upon a time at a retirement ceremony
Recently I had a chance to attend a military retirement ceremony, and it was glorious. A service member was a close friend was going to retire after serving for many years. He brought his wife on stage and gave a moving speech about their life story. He mentioned what they went through as a couple and how without her help he couldn’t have completed his service. This story made me think of a quote by Lao Tzu. The quote goes like this: “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage” As if that was not enough, he had a beautiful gift for her. A perfect close to a beautiful ceremony.
Why do they deserve this?
It’s a universal truth that behind every successful person there is a steadfast spouse. The military spouse is, however, a different breed altogether; head and shoulders above the rest. Why is that you may ask? I will share a few of the many things they go through on a regular basis which will eliminate any doubts you have on this statement:
Death of their soldier
- Knowing that their beloved soldier may actually die in the line of duty and still choosing to live this life.
- Going through unspeakable pain and horror when the tragedy of their soldier’s death occurs. Nothing comes close to this pain.
- Prepared to brave the world and raise the kids in case their soldier never returns.
Deployment away from home
- Holding the fort back home while their soldier is away for months at a time.
- Remain faithful and wait patiently, often worried sick of their safety.
- Missing the living crap out of their deployed soldier.
- Raising kids, handling the family, running the household and much more on a daily basis. That too often single-handedly.
- Staying strong for the kids and family but fearful on the inside for their soldier’s safety.
- Preparing a grand welcome when their soldier is safely back.
- Choose to live a mediocre lifestyle as everyone knows the military pay is not lavish.
- Running the household perfectly and within budget. Always planning and sacrificing own creature comforts.
- Never complaining of this situation to their soldier and supporting them.
Moving around a lot on PCS
- Sacrificing their friends and family because of frequent moving around.
- Settling and handling the kids through their phases of moving and mood swings.
- Settling and making a new identity in a new neighborhood.
- Frequently starting all over again
Tough military regulations
- Knowing and accepting that they are subject to military regulations which may seem harsh to civilians.
- Not bringing a bad name to the service and country through their behavior.
- Upbringing and grooming of the kids on the same values of service, sacrifice, and strong morals.
- Always respecting and upholding the traditions of the military.
Believing in their significant other and the greater cause
- Respecting military orders whatsoever they might be and not flinching. Whether, deployment, drills, PCS, etc.
- Always supporting their soldier even if they’re having doubts.
- Remaining strong for their soldier, kids, and family; no matter how scared they are.
- Remaining patriotic and putting the country before self and family.
- Recognizing the greater cause and spreading the same message.
I really don’t know what will convince you if this reading doesn’t!
What they need now
Appreciation, recognition, and respect
- Recognize the sacrifices the spouse has made to stand behind the soldier.
- Recognizing them as a vital part of our nation’s defense as they are the pillars of morale back at home.
- Giving them respect at home, out in public and openly laud their efforts.
More time with their soldier
- The soldier should care about the little things which make the spouse happy.
- The soldier should make up for all the time they were away
Better life quality
- Spoil them with some luxury items as a gift.
- Splash in some essentials which they haven’t been able to afford.
- Improvement in their outlook so they feel better about themselves.
Relaxing / time-off
- Some relax time from stressful life full of danger and fear.
- Catch up with some romantic times with their soldier.
Helping hand of their soldier now they’re finally home
- An active role by the soldier at home in helping out in daily chores.
- Look after kids and getting more involved in their life.
- The soldier should look after the spouse’s emotional and other needs.
- The soldier should strive to make the family life wholesome again as the missing puzzle piece is back home.
Top 10 Best Military Retirement Gifts For Spouse (her):
1. Joycuff Inspirational Bracelets for Women Engraved Personalized Mantra Cuff Bangle
During a retirement ceremony, it’s nice to have something special for your lady. This is a cute gift with an uplifting message for those special moments. Think of all the ups and downs that come with military life.
2. KAUZA Always Remember You are Braver Than You Think – Positive Wall Plaque
After retirement, you may stay in the military. Military life means moving and being away from home a lot. With this frame and panels, you have that special message always with you. They are also made of high quality, reliable, durable, light, and eco-friendly wood.
3. Premium Deluxe Bath & Body Gift Basket (Lavender Chamomile)
After all those hard years fighting for our freedom, it’s time to take care of yourself and your lovely family. With this sensational spa goodies basket, you will experience the three R’s. Renew, Recharge and Rejuvenate.
4. COAWG Flower Glass Tea Mug with Spoon, Unique Gift for Women (Red-12oz)
Who doesn’t need a cup of coffee first thing in the morning?! Joking. Not everybody likes coffee, so you can also use this for other delicious beverages. This is a handmade coffee mug with an elegant style with butterfly and rose flower 3D designs.
5. JUMPHIGH 10 Pieces Gardening Tools for Women
After years of being there for others, now it’s time to work on your hobby. If the garden is your hobby then you need this trendy and essential garden tool kit.
6. Lined Refillable Vintage Writing Journal for Women
Did you always had a passion for becoming a writer, do you love writing down your poems or are just looking for a notebook? Then this is your kind of notebook. This is a beautifully designed leather journal. You can use this to organize your journal, bucket list or class notes.
7. “If You Can Read This, Bring Me Some” (Wine, Chocolate, Coffee) Novelty Socks
These socks are knit from vibrant premium yarn. With a special and fun message. These are a perfect companion for those cold days to snuggle up in blanket and boss around by keeping your soles in the air.
8. Chanasya Warm Hugs Violet Purple Gift Throw Blanket
This blanket is carefully crafted and designed for delivering the warmth of a hug, love, and comfort. With this blanket, you will feel a constant reminder that you are not alone. And that you are valued and loved.
9. Infinity Love Heart Pendant Necklace Made with Swarovski Crystals
This is made with the finest authentic Swarovski Crystal. It has an ultra-durable with a thick layer of white gold silver plating. Made in America.
10. Atsuwell Shiatsu Neck and Shoulder Massager with Heat Hands
This is a handsfree belt to free your hands while deep tissue massages your body. You can do this while standing or sitting down. It’s easy to apply pressure through your hand loops or belt for a customized relaxing and full-body massage to revitalize your body. If this doesn’t scream relaxing, I don’t know anymore.
Top 10 Best Military Retirement Gifts For Spouse (him):
1. Whiskey Globe Decanter Set (28 Oz) for Liquor
During my military career, I have helped my husband focus on his body. It’s all about passing his PT test and staying strong mentally. It’s easy to forget yourself and how to relax. With this whiskey, you can finally kick up your feet and relax. This decanter comes with 2 world map etched glasses, antique ship, wooden stand, bottles stopper, pouring funnel and 2 silicone ice balls.
2. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS, 38mm) – Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band
A big part of being in the military is being on time, staying fit and monitoring your lifestyle. With this apple watch, you can do all of that and more. It comes with a case, band, and a 1m magnetic charging cable to make it fashionable.
3. Premium Men’s Gift Tie Set Silky Necktie Pocket Squares Tie Clips Cufflinks for Men
During your military career, the dress code is pretty much uniform. Everybody looks the same. Now that you are retiring, it’s your time to stand out. With this set, you are definitely going to stand out. This set is also top quality and has a silky feeling. It comes with clips and a cufflink.
4. American Flag Fun Dress Socks for Men
During your retirement, it’s all about relaxing and kicking your feet up. During the cold days, you will need good socks. This is one fit all. They have the right amount of stretch and comfort for your everyday wear.
5. BodyJ4You 4PC Cufflinks Tie Bar Money Clip Button Shirt Personalized Initials Alphabet A-Z Gift Set
You don’t have to wait till retirement to use this bad boy. This is a beautiful and thoughtful gift idea for all ages. It comes with 4 pieces set of modern style men’s jewelry.
6. MANTOBRUCE Leather Briefcase
After the military, you will start your new perfect life. If you are looking to impress people, this is your bag. With this leather bag, you will definitely make a good first impression. It has 1 zip pocket, internal, 1 main compartment, 1 laptop pocket, 1 zip pocket, 2 inner slip pocket and more.
7. Vetelli Hanging Toiletry Bag for Men
Who doesn’t love to travel, now that you are retired you get the time to travel. With this stylish toilet bag, you will be traveling in a style. It’s not only stylish but also functional with a lot of pockets.
8. Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots
After retirement, you have more time to do fun things. Things like hiking. With this waterproof shoe, you are ready to go for a hike. It is made with durable leather, a supportive footbed, and Vibram traction. You don’t have to wear your military boots anymore.
9. Polarized Sunglasses for Men
While enjoying your retirement and the sun it’s important to protect your eyes. With these sunglasses block 100 percent of all harmful UV rays. It also allows your eyes to stay relaxed. This is perfect for on vacation, just a walk around your town, getting that tan, etc. It doesn’t only protect your eyes, it’s also very fashionable.
10. Beard Grooming & Trimming Kit for Men Care
Now that you are retired you can finally grow your beard. You don’t have to keep up with the military rules. With this kit, it’s going to be very easy and fun to groom and trim your beard into a perfect beard. It comes with unscented beard oil, unscented beard balm, boar bristle beard brush, and wooden beard comb
Wrapping it up
I have found 20 affordable gifts for spouses. All gifts above are under 100 dollars. In my opinion, these are the best and most thoughtful gifts to give a spouse. Thank you for your time and thank you for your service!